Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Best $10 I ever spent

Last Christmas, I was hesitant to get Zoey a doll. When asked if that was on our present list, I demurred and offered that we were waiting until her first birthday. In reality, I didn't know if I wanted to start in on gendered toys: dolls for girls, trucks for boys. Grandma Redford had a small doll in her toy chest and Zoey didn't let it out of her sight the entire week we were in Canada. Grandma sent us home with the doll. I even made it a new outfit for Zoey's birthday.

After seeing my baby girl joyfully play with doll strollers at other people's houses, I decided it was high time we got one ourselves. It was the best $10 I have ever spent. The enthusiasm and delight Zoey wears on her face as she pushes the stroller, checks on the doll, puts it back in, and continues along is priceless.

This was day one with her very own doll stroller.

6 comments:

Yellie said...

Aww! She is such a cutie! I love reading your blog!

We're pretty hyper about gender specific toys around here too, and just for the record, I don't think dolls are gender specific toys. Little boys will grow up to be daddies, right? My little guy has his own bald boy baby doll, although he definately doesn't nurture it like my daughter does her dolls. And my daughter plays with our toy cars too, although her sound effects aren't nearly as loud as Andrew's. I'm okay with any toy that represents something "real" for boy or girl, but all of ours are open ended, plain, and we avoid gender specific colors and all characters. (Except Hello Kitty, of course!) I've yet to hear, "That toy is for girls/boys," out of their mouths- success!

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

She is darling. I personally hide our doll stroller all the time because Anna constantly runs it into walls and then yells at me to help her fix it:)

Janetta said...

We found a doll stroller to be money well spent! They just love being little mothers to their dolls and having a stroller makes them feel grown up or something. I would even take the doll stroller when I went for playdates because I knew it was the "hot item" at that age. She's growing up fast!

Nicole said...

She is so cute with the stroller. I had all kinds of toys with Amber and Justin to play with and though they did play with them all occasionally, Amber loves dolls and Justin all sports equipment. They did it on their own :)

ashlee said...

She looks so happy!

Joy H said...

Precious! Of course she loves it; she is imitating her Mom and Dad. :)