Yesterday, Kevin and I helped a young man in our ward with his Eagle Scout project. He decided to organize the filming of 35 elderly people's life history in an interview format. I was able to interview Erik, an 82 year old, wheel-chair bound, Norwegian, who had been a professional singer. He had a deep, booming voice. When I introduced myself to him, he bellowed, "You are beautiful!" I said thank you with a large smile. "And sexy," he followed up. Then, I blushed. After the interview Kevin introduced himself as my husband and I could see Erik size him up. Flattering, but a little disturbing too. When we finished up I asked if I could give Erik a hug. His response: "You can have more than that." Slightly scary.
Post interview I found out some interesting things.
1. Erik was more lucid talking (and singing--his 'Ol Man River was beautiful!) with me than he has been for a long time. (He did get confused a little during the interview and I tried to repeat questions or just move onto something new.)
2. He tells all women they are "beautiful......and sexy!" There went my dirty old man flattery. It's a line he uses on everyone.
I overheard one other interview from a fascinating woman, who had lived a very full life. She was sharp as a tack and very witty. The experience yesterday reminded me why I like listening to old people. They have had so many interesting experiences and have lived through so much history. Erik, for instance, briefly talked about the German occupation of Oslo during WWII, which I had forgotten happened.
As my own grandparents continue to age, I want to hear more and more of their stories. We did get one or two at the recent reunion. As they get closer to moving onto the next stage in God's plan, I am saddened we don't live closer so I can hear more of their stories.
1 comment:
First off: you ARE beautiful and sexy and secondly: living history is amazing. It's one thing I never got used to in Prague. I'd see these elderly people on the streets and wonder what happened in their lives- WWII, communism, brief glimpses of freedom . . it's amazing! What cool, cool project.
Post a Comment