Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Awesome (not) mommy moment

Here's how the conversation went between Zoey and I today after she once again wasn't listening to my pleas/commands/orders for her to stop and was running away from me towards a street.

Me (in a very stern voice, okay, yelling a little): Zoey, you have to listen to mommy!
Zoey: why?
Me: because it is my job to keep you safe.
Zoey: why?
Me: because that's what Heavenly Father wants me to do.
Zoey: Why?
Me (okay, yelling by now): because he loves you!
Zoey: Why?
Me: because he made your Spirit.

Thankfully the whys stopped and the harness on the stroller (into which I had now forced her) kept her safe inside. I reflected on that conversation all the way home. I don't think any of it sank in, nor could she feel the love because of the tone of voice I used.

I've decided that since God did make her Spirit and knows her better than I do, I should ask Him more earnestly how I can get through to my stubborn girl to help keep her safe and avoid imminent danger. But, I'm also open to suggestions from anyone who has good tips for things that worked with their kiddos. Send them my way!

1 comment:

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

Ahh my Anna has suddenly become stubborn too. Josh never went through that phase, so let me know what you figure out.