Nevertheless, lately, I've been wanting to read again. For fun that is. What a novel (pun intended) idea! The problem is, I don't know where to start. I used to be good at knowing what was out there, and what I wanted to read. Finding interesting authors and reading several of their books was fun (Ayn Rand, Willa Cather, E.M. Forster among the favorites). Or, adept at navigating a public library and picking things that looked interesting. Now, I don't know what I want to read.
Cousin Matthew to the rescue! He had a book at our recent family reunion by one of my favorite authors--Chaim Potok. I thought I had read everything he wrote, but apparently, I missed one. For some reason I strongly identify with his characters--usually teenage boys in Brooklyn, who are Hasidic Jews having trouble with their fathers and an identity crisis. (You can read into the psychology behind that one!) Well, Matthew had a Potok book I've never even seen: The Gates of November.
From the back cover:"The father is a high-ranking communist officer, a Jew who survived Stalin's purges. The son is a 'refusenik' who risked his life and happiness to protest everything his father held dear. Now Chaim Potok beloved author of the award0winning novels the Chosen and My Name is Asher Lev, unfolds the gripping true story of a father, a son, and a conflict that spans Soviet history. Drawing on taped interviews and his harrowing visits to Russia, Potok traces the public and private lives of the Slepak family: their passions and ideologies, their struggles to reconcile their identities as Russians and as Jews, their willingness to fight--and die--for diametrically opposed political beliefs. "
I'm sure I'm going to devour this book, once I start. So, please post under comments any other books you recommend. I'm thrilled to discover reading for pleasure once again.
5 comments:
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
These is My Words by Nancy E Turner
I've also heard from a lot of people that Hunger Games is really good - It is a series and the 3rd book comes out this month.
Follow the River is also excellent but I can't remember the Author.
I need to read the Help- I think your choices are always well informed so keep me updated with what you are discovering!
Last month was my turn to pick for book club and I took the opportunity to satisfy a craving for Potok. I made everyone read My Name is Asher Lev. I was surprised that a couple of friends didn't love his writing style. I always relate to his characters, too, and I think it's the style he writes them in. He sort of speaks my language, I think. Anyway, just another reason we're kindred spirits.
I forgot . . . have you read Peace Like a River by Leif Enger? Great piece of work.
Loved "Infidel", "I, Mona Lisa", "The Robe", "Pillars of the Earth"...that should be a good start, right? I have most of these if you'd like to borrow.
Post a Comment