Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Living Room Make Over Part 2

Several weeks ago I embarked on an overhaul of our living room and posted pictures of a recovered ottoman. That was part of the process.

step 1: sell the oversized chair that I loved, but was too big for our living room with the couch we have.
step 2: recover the ottoman
step 3: make throw pillows out of left over fabric from the ottoman recovering project.
step 4: select pictures from our November photo shoot taken by Jill and order prints and enlargements.
step 5: move pictures around to different places in the living room (the large french ad poster now over the fireplace, for example.)
step 6: frame and arrange said family pictures onto the large, now empty wall.
step 7: paint a frame for the end table to match the cool blue "Redford" sign Nicole made me.
step 8: buy a new mat for the baby pictures of Zoey to match the off-white of the other mats.
step 9: find a small armchair to fit the living room.

Steps 7 and 8 and 9 are in progress still, 9 being the hardest and the one that will take the longest, mostly because I don't know what I want and I'm cheap!

Viola!

Here are the pictures (sorry about the glare, couldn't figure out how to do it without the glare).
I am very pleased with the photo collage. A friend told me the secret to making sure you had the right composition without nailing a zillion holes in your wall was to cut out paper the same size as the frames and tape the paper to the wall. I could move and adjust those and then put my holes in the wall based on that. The big 11x14 picture still gave us a run for our money (and the wall) because it was hard to make level.
I didn't want too many stripes in the living room, but wanted to use the left over fabric from the ottoman, so I made these pillows with different designs. This is the rear view of the pillows. I wanted to tie in all of the fun colors in the striped pattern so we now have the light blue pillows that came with the couch (and match the striped fabric and the blue Redford sign) and these three--red, green and dark blue.

2 comments:

2x2momma said...

Cute projects! I love your photo collage! And if we do start doing some serious looking in Irvine, you are the first person I'm calling!

Marilee said...

So cute Lovely! I am just now catching up on my blog reading so I know I'm a month late! Nevertheless, everything looks great! Can't wait to see it all in person! Love You!!