Whoever said that "laughter is the best medicine" was onto something. Laughter can diffuse tense situations, join opposing forces, and offer assistance in difficult situations. A friend once told me that if she didn't laugh during a particularly hard time, she'd cry. While a good cry has a time and place, laughter can carry us through and even make pain subside.
Yesterday I had an experience I'm calling the Parable of the Poop Fountain. While burping Zoey over my shoulder after she ate, shortly following a powerful fart, suddenly poop spurted from her diaper. The spray from the blast was quite startling. As the brown liquidous substance continued to spill over the back of her diaper, I did have the wherewithal to try to catch some of it before it hit me or the couch. Disgusted, I was ready to let some expletives escape (possibly the one matching the substance leaking through my fingers), when I realized how funny the scene must look. I thought a movie camera couldn't have captured it any better than what I was experiencing. With my abrupt change in attitude, I giggled my way into Zoey's room, laid down an old, spare cloth diaper as to minimize the spread of the poop and proceeded to strip my daughter of her soiled clothes and diaper. After she was clean, re-diapered and dressed, I turned to my own clothes and realized I hadn't contained the poop fountain nearly as well as I'd thought. That seemed funny to me as well and I chuckled as I changed and washed them. Because I viewed the stinky situation with humor, it actually became a story I wanted to share (hence this post.)
I'm sure that there will be more body liquids stories in my life. I've been peed on. I've been spit up on a million times, once even into my mouth. There is assuredly child vomit in my future. I hope I can continue to find the humor in these situations because sometimes laughing is better than crying. That was the case in the parable of the poop fountain.
3 comments:
i wish you HAD had a camera. as long as it didn't come with smell-o-vision. good on you for finding the humour!!
I had a good laugh reading that one!! I read it out loud to Julie, Heather and Grandma Scadlock and we all had a good giggle. Happy 4th of July!!!! Grandma S also looked at a bunch of your pics of Zoey and oohed and aahhed tons about our cutie pie baby. Loves!!!!
Hilarious. Having kids gives new meaning to your tolerance for poop!!
Happy Birthday!! I'm serious about this week!
xox
Post a Comment