Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I wanna be just like her--OR--why my mother is fantastic

When I think of the kind of mom I want to be, I have a handful of terrific role models from whom I can draw. I've observed sisters, friends, and even strangers for years as they make choices about parenting. But really, I need look no further than my own mother. She has spent the last week with us, helping Kevin and I get accustomed to parenthood and lending a hand with Zoey. I cried when she left yesterday, but know that I'll be able to handle motherhood, in part because I have had such a magnificent mother.

My friend Chris thinks MJ gives the best mom hugs in the world. She is also a great listener, a woman of incredible wisdom, and a very easy person to be around. Many years ago, we saw the film Enchanted April, and one of the characters in it used the expression "Tubs of Love." We took to calling mom that, because she does indeed radiate love. Growing up, and still today, my friends picked up on that, her seminary students surely feel it, and her family most definately benefits from her loving aura.

One of the many things mom did while with us was to give Zoey her first bath and show mom and dad how to do it. Here they are gearing up for the big event.
She didn't love the bath, but that was not because Grandma wasn't gentile, caring, or loving.
She feed us (Kevin was very excited about eating red meat), did loads of laundry, cleaned the kitchen, and told me when to sleep, did some late night/early morning tours of duty with the Zoester, went grocery shopping, and left us with a stocked fridge. Mom told me it has been a sweet experience being with us because she was reflecting back upon her own mother, who came to stay with her after every child. I know that mom was also blessed with a wonderful role model, and I'm grateful to Grandma Ellison for being an example to my mom. I know I can't repay my mom for her week (okay lifetime) of service, but I promise to do the same for my Zoey when she has a baby. THANKS MOM!

6 comments:

Marilee said...

I agree WHOLE HEARTEDLY with everything you wrote in this beautiful tribute! Honestly, I don't think there is a more tender moment than when a mom teaches her daughter how to be a mom after the daughter has her first baby, actually after each baby. The look on the mom (Grandma's face) is priceless. You are truely blessed to have such a wonderful mother!
PS-my new thing is to use the word verification word in the comment post in a sentence each time I comment. The words are hilarious and its fun to try to think of a possible meaning so here goes. WORD VERIFICATION: versag. USED IN A SENTENCE: Now that your baby is born, I sure hope "versag"ie (your saggie) tummy goes away fast! :-) Love you!

catharooni said...

zoester - love it!!!

MarJane said...

Being the subject of this tribute brings tears to the eyes. How good does it get being a mom and a grandmom. I am so glad that the "tubs of love" are about the caring and not the container...which I also emulate. Thanks for allowing me the blessing of being with you. Love, MJ

chris said...

After all these years not one person gives better hugs than MJ. We can only hope to do as well as mothers in this lifetime. Bravo to MJ and Bravo to Laura. I miss you both.

Nicole said...

That made me cry!

Ben & Mona said...

I loved reading this about your mom and got all teary eyed. Your right she does just radiate love! When we left after visiting you I mentioned to Ben again how cool your mom was!