Sunday, April 5, 2009

Never too early for heavy reading

Saturday night I was laying on the couch reading next to an alert little girl, when I realized that I hadn't read her anything yet. So, I flipped to the front of the book my dad had lent me, Lincoln's Greatest Speech. Then I pulled Zoey onto my lap, and read her President Lincoln's second inaugural address. It is never too early to turn my daughter into a history geek!

Really it is quite an amazing speech that could have been boastful, but instead was ultimately about unity. Here's the text of the fourth and final paragraph--the most famous part of the speech:

With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan--to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace, among ourselves, and with all nations.

Zoey and I will read lots of things together, and not all such heavy subjects as inaugural addresses. Good Night Moon and Curious George and an array of fairy tales are on the shelf. I've started collecting a few kid books about art as well (Thanks Jenna for the shower present!) But, I do hope to read to her more from history's inspirational figures. I'm open for suggestions if you have any.

No comments: