Wednesday, February 18, 2009

V-Day

For Valentine's Day this year, I went down to the Music Center and got us tickets to see Kevin's favorite musical, Pippin. He likes it because it is a show "that makes you think," and of course the magic involved doesn't hurt either! This particular production was amazing in that the Deaf West Theater Company partnered with the author of the musical, Steven Schwartz, to make this new revival. About 1/2 of the cast was hearing/singing and 1/2 deaf. The actors signed onstage and those who didn't speak had "voices" who were just off stage, or in an inconspicuous place. The signing was incorporated into the choreography in an amazing way. There was also a new take on the main character who was played by two actors--one deaf and one hearing. Both were really fantastic. Kevin liked it so much he wants to see it again before it closes in LA on March 15th. I hope this one makes it to Broadway. My only complaint is that we were unsuccessful in seeing a musical that did not use pasties as costume pieces. (For those following the blog, you'll remember the last two musicals we'd seen were about burlesque.) There is one scene in Pippin that was very sexual and the women were quite scantily clad. It would have been better if it were a little toned down.

Kevin's presents to me this past Valentine's Day were yellow themed. In the morning, while I was away from home, he finished painting the baby's room. It is a lovely, buttery yellow. Then, in the evening he came home with some GORGEOUS yellow roses--my favorite! These are particularly pretty with big petals, and a fragrant smell. I smile every time I walk by them on the kitchen table.


The first time Kevin gave me flowers for Valentine's Day we were dating. He had just gone out of town and I honestly wasn't expecting anything. But, while on my way out of my apartment I saw his friend Paul carrying a large collection of red roses. Kevin had arranged for Paul to deliver them to me in his absence. He succeeded in surprising me once again this year. Finishing the baby's room was enough of a gift and these beautiful flowers just icing.






1 comment:

amanda said...

beautiful roses...almost as beautiful as you...cant wait to get the good news that little baby redford has arrived. keep us posted!

amanda