Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Thanksgiving to Remember

We had a rough thanksgiving week, filled with vomit and poop.  Zoey got sick Saturday night, but was better Monday and I thought we were lucky to be out of the woods.  Paige, however, was sick Monday night (went through three pairs of jammies, or was it four?), and I felt pretty awful Tuesday afternoon to Wednesday.  Having heard that we were passing the stomach bug around, Nicole (rightfully) uninvited us to her house for thanksgiving.  I was feeling a little better by Wednesday afternoon, so Kevin and I went shopping for the fixings to make a full meal the next day.  He, however, fell ill with a toned-down version of the bug Thursday afternoon.  He didn't complain much, but only had one helping of food, evidence that he wasn't feeling up to par.  With just the four of us, there was a huge amount of left overs.  Good thing we like those!

I didn't have time to get down to the flower mart, gross as I'd been feeling, so I didn't do my annual tradition of making a few centerpieces and giving them to people for whom I am thankful.  We did buy a bouquet, when we bought food, that I arranged for our own table.  We ate on my parents' china too for a fancy look. 
The best part of dinner was at a moment when I was kind of feeling sorry for us, eating by ourselves.  Without provocation, Kevin told Zoey about a tradition I like of going around the table one letter at a time to express gratitude.  It was loads of fun, and good alphabet practice for Zoey.  I loved him extra at that moment and was very thankful that he was thoughtful enough to bring in one of my most favorite (and cheesy) thanksgiving traditions. 

We did not record the list of A-B-C thankfuls, but earlier that week we had made a "thankful tree" for FHE.  Zoey really liked that activity and paid lots of attention to our tree throughout the week.  On each leaf we wrote something and here is a record of that:
  • Zoey
  • Healthy Bodies
  • Daddy
  • Home
  • Jesus
  • Dancing
  • Going to Church as a family
  • Scribble (that was from Paige)
  • Mommy
  • Job
  • Show/Entertainment
  • Coloring Pictures
  • Nature
  • Cousins
  • Paige
  • Minha Esposa (that's me!:)
  • Nursery Leaders

No comments: