Friday, September 2, 2011

Sisters

We knew Zoey would be a great helper and enamored with the new baby. She's such a little mommy to all her dolls, always points out babies, and watches out for other kids. From the instant she met Paige, Zoey has been a great big sister. And this picture melts my highly hormonally charged heart.
When she went to Aunt Nicole's house for a few days and we'd call to check on her, Zoey always asked to talk to or sing to the baby. We didn't have to worry about whether or not she'd like having a baby around.
Zoey is learning about pronouns. Often she calls people "this." When she first held Paige at home she said, "I love this." I'm so glad my Jelly Bean is fond of our new little girl. That night when we wrapped Paige in one of the amazing blankets my mom made for Zoey, the latter exclaimed, "that's my blanket" and quickly followed with "I share Paige."
There was some instruction as to how to handle a real baby. We've been working on it every day. Zoey has grasped the concept of touching the soother (pacifier for you non-Canadian readers) only on the parts that don't go into Paige's mouth. The idea of only sitting to hold her sister, however, is still elusive.

In fact, two nights ago Kevin and I were in the kitchen together for a split second and didn't have our eyes on the girls. When I walked out and saw Zoey sitting on the couch holding Paige, my heart dropped. Paige had been in her bouncer by the table, and Zoey picked her up, carried her to the couch, laid her down, climbed onto the couch, and pulled Paige onto her lap. All were fine, but we've had to go over and over not picking up Paige. We'll have to have eagle eyes on the two. And no more showering for me after Kevin heads to work. I can't trust Zoey to leave Paige alone. She's not malicious. She's just rambunctious and stubborn, thinking she's big enough to do anything she wants. So we've been saying "be soft" and "that's not safe for baby Paige" a lot at our house.
"Hmmmm...What kind of trouble are the two of us going to get into as we both grow?"

I am super lucky to have an amazing sister and four fantastic sister in laws. I think sister relationships can be some of the very best (or very worst) for women, and I hope that my girls grow up loving each other, looking out for one another, and readily show kindness towards one another.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Amen sista!

Joy H said...

Been there done that......caught Amanda changing Ian's diaper in the bassinet when she was 2-1/2. Eeeeek!