Friday, December 10, 2010

'Cause I'm proud to be (married to) a Canadian

With a Canadian mother, a Canadian brother and sister in law, you'd think I would have already experienced this very Canadian event. Not so! Last night, Kevin took me to my first ever hockey game. A friend of his has season tickets to the LA Kings, who were playing the Calgary Flames (Kings dominated, unfortunately.) Our seats were about eight rows from the ice behind one of the goals.

I knew the game is played on ice, with sticks and a puck. The purpose is to score on your opponent's goal. There are things called periods (how many, I was unsure), and penalty boxes. I didn't know any of the rules of the game. Kevin kindly explained. Other than the fighting, I liked the sport.

We had a great time at the Staples Center, which has the best sports arena food I've seen and a really neat sports card and ephemera museum that we explored between periods.

3 comments:

mj said...

As your Canadian mother, I have only been to a few (2 or 3) games myself. Wasn't on my bucket list. There are 3 periods-one period too long for my liking.
Note to self: You have plural Canadian in-laws now too.

ashlee said...

I loved my first hockey game...I haven't been back but not out of dislike. Your flower arrangements are great and what a great idea. I need to do something like that to show more appreciation.

catharooni said...

calgary lost? darn. NOT.

oilers all the way - don't listen to kevin. as wonderful as he is, he is wrong about that one.