Saturday, October 23, 2010

Working life Transformation

I had no idea how beneficial it would be to have a space dedicated to work. A few weeks ago a graduate carrel became available and the history graduate coordinator contacted me to see if I wanted the space.
It isn't large. Even the door is miniature.
There is room for a desk and a bookshelf and a filing cabinet. I can't open the door if I am sitting in the chair. But, this tiny little space has transformed my ability to work.
I love going there. I'm there to work (and play the occasional game of spider solitaire) and that's it. I've been using it as my place to write. Yes, I am writing! I don't know what I am saying yet, but I'm hoping that the writing process will help clarify the ideas I have and what it is I am going to say about my topic.

Additionally, I recently applied for a reader card at the Huntington Library.
You couldn't ask for a more beautiful place to work. The reading room is large and comfortable and well light. I only wish the paging service was a little snappier. Outdoors, the gorgeous Huntington Gardens and Museum await. My first day I took a stroll through the gardens at lunch time.
What a glorious way to spend lunch. I discovered a fabulous children's garden Zoey and I will be hitting up sometime soon. With my reader card, I get free admission!

2 comments:

mj said...

Picture postcard quality. Keep being inspired. We can't wait to call you DR.

Joy H said...

Gorgeous grounds......peaceful