Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Projects

With Kevin's mom in town, I knew I could get some help on projects I've wanted to do for Zoey.

PROJECT 1: Activity books to help her stay quiet during church
With the recommendation of a friend from NYC, whose kids used these, I bought a Finch Family Games and Folder Activities book. I completed one that I had already copied and colored while she was here and colored one more.

Julia colored three more during her visit! And when I say coloring, I mean mostly colored pencils and professional quality. They look terrific! I haven't finished cutting out the "Garden of Eden" shape matching one, but that was her most artistic work.
And can I brag? Zoey can match the Noah's Ark animals. She's done that one the most since I completed it first, but still.....I was impressed. Now lets just hope they do help to keep her quieter in Church.

PROJECT 2: Curtains for Zoey's room

Always impressive, Morgan finds the most adorable fabric and does amazing things with it. I got the skinny on her hook-up for upholstery and drapery fabrics downtown and visited Eco Fabrics with Julia and Zoey. I was afraid to commit to yellow because the walls in her room are yellow and I wasn't sure the two would compliment each other. But, this was the fabric I liked the best. $20ish dollars later I left the store with 3 1/2 yards in hand. (Thanks be to the salesman who did the math when I told him the measurements of the window.) To my great relief, the fabric and the walls went together wonderfully!
On her last night with us, Julia helped me cut (can you believe that I still can't cut a straight line) the fabric and showed me how to fold it over to hide the raw edge. At her suggestion, I went for a top ruffle and was very pleased with the results. She also instilled in me a deep appreciation for ironing. I hate ironing clothes, but in sewing it helps sooooo much. She didn't get to see the finished product, but here is a picture of the new curtains in Z's room. Way better than the old, broken blinds.

At the right time of day her entire room fills with a comfortable glow.
A great big shout out to my mother-in-law. I wouldn't have been able to do these projects with out you!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Yeah for great mother's in law! My kids loved the church activities. Amber and Justin used to have such great things...poor Grace never gets anything so clever!

Marilee said...

The curtains look awesome! Great job! I'm with Nic, Spencer and Annie used to get fun, creative church activities, the younger ones have to sit quietly and the only thing they get to do is color! BOOORRRRIIINNNGGG!!!

2x2momma said...

these are awesome!