Friday, May 14, 2010

Recent Outtings

Have you ever been lucky enough to have one of those friends you can pick up with when you get together no matter how long it has been, or how inconsistent you've been in maintaining contact? I was lucky enough to be companions with K for the last 5 months of my mission. The last two years she and her brood of three kiddies and hubby have been in Los Angeles while she completes a prestigious fellowship. How unfortunate, that since I've had my own little one, we've seen each other only occasionally! When we do get together time seems to move at warp speed. I will swear we've only been talking for 20 minutes when an hour and a half has zoomed by. She and her family are off to a great job elsewhere in a few months and I'm going to miss having her close by!
I can't describe how good Korean food really is!

Last week Zoey and I were fortunate enough to accompany K and her ADORABLE S on an excursion to K-town. We first hit up a Hambok (traditional Korean dress) shop and were both painfully aware at how much our language skills had declined. We followed that stop up with food, of course! Nummy, nummy Korean food. It tasted so good. To get out of our post-meal stupor we visited the moongu (stationary store) and explored poorly translated English on notebooks and cool pens and paper for folding into neat shapes. Ah....Korea.

This week, we made use of my reader card at the Getty (yeah for free parking!) with our friends Nicole, Josh, and Anna. We really only got to see a tiny bit of one exhibit, but I didn't care. I love being on the Getty campus in general. A few years back Kevin and I went on the docent-led architecture tour and it made a real impression on me.

Ramps and stairs mixed with the perfect CA weather makes for lots of fun.
I was very impressed with the "family room". I hadn't checked out what they had for kiddies. It isn't like the Denver Art Museum, with kid friendly exhibits, but it did have lots of charm. There were little rooms with different themes that matched stuff in the Getty collection: A 17th century bed with modern day nighttime books, a place to color masks (see Josh above) and the magnetic David Hockney walls. (If the Getty would only put the real Pair Blossom Highway back on exhibit!)
The gardens were gorgeous of course. And Anna and Zoey kept hugging along the path. How cute!
Yeah for LA! Yeah for friends to do things with in LA!

1 comment:

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

Love the pics - I might have to steal some. I'm sorry I wasn't smart enough to bring a stroller so that we could see more, but I also love the Getty!