Lately, I've been feeling stretched. It hasn't been the kind of stretching that leads to something good. I liken it more to that medieval torture device called the rack. Too much starching and snap, the body (or mind and spirit) is like that rubber band or hair tie, instead of the nummy taffy or the super racket.
The answer: Do more. How can that be the answer? It seems counterintuitive, but I felt very strongly that the answer to my running in too many directions, having too much on my plate (insert your favorite metaphor here that expresses having too much to do and not enough time or energy) is to add one more thing. A few weeks ago in Relief Society, the women's meeting at church, we had a lovely lesson on temples and I felt very strongly that if I were to attend the temple more regularly, I'd feel like I'd have a better handle on my responsibilities.
An LDS temple is a place of peace, reflection, learning, and quiet. It really is a delight to go there and take a breath away from the pace and problems of everyday life and provide service for someone else. This is almost the view I have from my apartment windows, so I can't say that I lack a constant reminder, or have too sacrifice much to get there in terms of distance.
Like many other good things on my to do lists, this one has slipped since becoming a mom. Maybe it is my new reality that things (like dissertation research) are just harder to accomplish when I spend most of my time caring for an adorable creature who is no where near self sufficient. Kevin and I had a conversation about my of late struggles and how I felt that I should attend the temple more. He is on board for supporting me in that. A good friend helped us two weekends ago when she offered to babysit. Kevin and I went together on a Friday night. We are going to take up more of the babysitting offers we've had (thank heavens for those blessed people) and also encourage each other to go individually if we cannot attend together. Twice a month. That's the goal.
Going once was lovely, and I no longer feel like I'm at the breaking point. But, my concerns about being overwhelmed haven't totally dissipated either. I do believe that making this part of my life on a more consistent basis will provide the needed respite and perspective reminders that I desperately need. Still, part of me finds it strange that adding one more thing to do will actually help. But then again, the concept is farmiliar. Christ taught this principle in Matthew that She "who loses [her] life for my sake shall find it." As I set aside time to serve other (and therefore Christ) in His temple, the Lord will have more opportunity to bless me with what I need most--clarity, peace of mind, sanity.
Do ya think He could write my dissertation too???
1 comment:
Amen- i need to go more as well and have a very hard time finding time with a toddler at home!
Post a Comment