Friday, September 18, 2009

A day in the state capital

Things I learned or realized about Sacramento yesterday:

1. It has a very walkable downtown. Love the grid system. There is a streetcar system for local commuters and buses for around town. Two thumbs up.
2. The trees are very big. The Capital building was completed in 1874, and I'm sure some of the trees were planted then. But, even in the neighborhoods there can boast large trees that provide lots of shade.
3. Sacramentonians need shade. VERY HOT here.
4. The Capital building is beautiful, especially the interior. The colors are vibrant and the wood working impressive. The historically accurate rooms--the Governors office from 1906 and the Secretary of State's office--were especially fun to see.
6. While I HATE that our silly law makers can't seem to do anything about balancing a budget, I do like the city in which they get nothing done.

On to Berkeley today for a visit to the famed Bancroft Library for more research.....

2 comments:

Nicole said...

awesome picture! ditto on #6

ashlee said...

Zoey is so cute! How long are you Sacramento for?