Thursday, March 12, 2009

Maybe your body is telling you something.....

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I tend to be overly ambitious in what I think I should be able to accomplish. I have a hard time slowing down. And, I tend not to notice that I'm running ragged. Well, yesterday, I had a wake-up call that made me chuckle.

At my appointment with the midwife, I complained that my heart burn is really getting obnoxious. (THANK HEAVENS FOR TUMS!) She reviewed the list of dos and don'ts: do eat lots of small meals, don't have large meals, do drink plenty of water throughout the day, don't lay down after eating. I mentioned after the last one that while I don't recline after I eat, I generally felt better if I lay down for a bit during the course of the day. The days like yesterday when I was out and about on campus, either walking or sitting for hour after hour, were the worst. Her very obvious reply made so much sense that I was left wondering why I hadn't put these things together: "Maybe your body is trying to tell you something?" she kindly suggested. Hmmmm.....like, maybe it is time to slow down just a bit! I'm taking the recommendation to heart and decided not to go to the archives today (instead I went shopping!) and now I'm going to be home, doing some work, but taking it much easier than the last few days. Let's see if that heart burn dissipates.....crossing my fingers.

What makes this story ironic is that I had a conversation with a friend that morning about how good both of us are and taking on too much. This is a work in progress. I'm sure having a baby will just add to the issue.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

I don't know if having a baby will add to the issue so much as turn it upside down. :-) I had horrible heartburn with every pregnancy. There really wasn't much to be done about it. With the last one, I was actually on two prescription meds and was still eating my Dr.'s daily limit of Tums. Still, do take it easy! Growing a baby is hard work.

Nicole said...

14 days to go?!?!?!~ yahoo!

catharooni said...

you? overdo? shocking! i can not empathize, but you have as much sympathy as possible ... and i am soooo excited for you to meet this special wee one!