Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ode to the Pigeon

My last apartment in NYC had a light shaft/courtyard outside the bedroom window by my bed, and another window that looked out onto the brick wall next door about a foot away. Neither my roommate Melissa or I slept particularly well that first night. In the morning she said she had heard neighbors having sex in the early hours of the day. We came to learn that the noise we heard each and every morning wasn't the sound of love, but the warbling of pigeons! They would camp out in the light shaft/courtyard area or on the window ledges between our building and the next and start their obnoxious singing in the wee hours of the sunlight. I used to take my pillow and throw it across the room to scare the "rats with wings" (as Chris calls them), which gave us a few minutes of quiet.

This morning, I thought again of those pigeons and the morning wake up call as I listed to the harsh sounds of the crow that has been waking me lately, as soon as the sun comes up. Does it think it is a rooster? Kevin and I sleep with the window open and the sound drives me NUTS! I don't know which is a worse sound, pigeons or crows, but I sure wish I had a sling shot and knew where that bird perched every morning.

3 comments:

Marilee said...

Oh Lovely, I feel your pain. When Annie was a baby and we lived in that yellow rental house in the "Valley" with paper thin windows and walls, there was a crow that perched itself somewhere in our backyard and started "cawing" at 4:30 in the morning. Mind you this was all going on at a time when we were trying to get Annie to sleep through the night. She'd start crying around 3:00 in the morning, we'd cover our heads with pillows and finally around 3:45 or 4 she'd fall back to sleep. We'd finally drift off just in time for the crow to wake us (and her) up again. If I could, I'd bring my sling shot to your house and take the "night shift" to find it for you! Maybe earplugs would be a good investment for you right now. At least until the baby comes anyway!

Twinkie said...

Those damn pigeons. I so don't miss those early days in the 96th street apartment. But its amazing that after living there for two years, I didn't even hear the pigeons anymore by the time we left. They were just part of the silence of the night that included the subway running, horns honking, and people yelling on the street. Sigh....

Anonymous said...

gross rats with wings. blech.
not to point to the obvious - but, pretty soon you will have something keeping you awake and you will wish sometimes to god almighty it was only a pigeon.