Saturday, June 30, 2012

We love Grandma Gail!

 

In Korea, you can call an older person "Har-mo-ney"  as a term of respect.  It means grandma.  I can think of no better word to honor Gail Smith.  Most kids I know actually call her grandma, or grandma Gail.  She adores children and they can tell.  In fact, I've never seen her look more lovely or content than when she is holding a new baby during our Relief Society meeting at church.  While her house is lovely and always clean, she makes it a place where kids are welcome to come and play, and not a museum of pretty, breakable things.   Having worked alongside her husband for decades and raised seven of her own kids, you'd think she'd want a long break.  Not grandma Gail.  She loves to help other people, especially us moms with young kids.  She is such a tremendous example of the kind of person I want to be now, and the thoughtful and serving woman I hope to be when I am out of the throws of child rearing.  Zoey includes grandma Gail in her prayers anytime she mentions family.  I haven't tried to explain to her that grandma Gail isn't her grandma like grandmas Christofferson and Redford.  I think she'd just be confused.  In her mind grandma Gail is someone who loves her, welcomes her to play, takes an interest in her, and knows how to talk to her on her level.  In short, she is her Grandma.    We love grandma Gail!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I think your girls are lucky to have an extra grandma just like we had an extra mom in Sue!