Today in lecture the mean TA came out in me. Three women sitting on the row in front of me were switching so rapidly between websites and programs on their laptops that I found myself distracted. (And who really has people magazine bookmarked???) After the prof. had finished explaining her rational for the next homework assignments, made comments about the upcoming midterm, and started the introduction to her lecture, I thought that these students would surely pay more attention and flash fewer new windows on their screens. Nope.
Hmmmm. What to do? Ignore it? Say something?
I wrote the following on a note and quietly passed it forward:
"I am finding it very distracting sitting behind you. Perhaps using your laptop to help you stay focused on the lecture would be a wiser use of your time."
They never glanced back. They also did not look at anything on their computers besides the power point slides.
I am glad my tactic worked, but I don't think it made any kind of lasting impression....other than pegging me as the mean TA that is.
4 comments:
Ha! As I write, I am in a graduate class bored out of my mind. I'm glad I don't have a mean TA like you.
You meanie! I actually wish I could do that on occasion in church!
i applaud you! i wouldn't consider it mean...just helping them to obtain focus.
haha 90% of people in my dental school class are on Facebook 100% of the time. People on their smartphones at church make me nauseous... thanks for ruining my spiritual recharge for the week.
I think you did the right thing!
Post a Comment