Monday, January 11, 2010

Design Flaw?

The other night Zoey woke up crying and was inconsolable. I tried everything. Kevin tried too. Finally, after giving her some motrin and not knowing what else to do we put Zoey back in her crib and closed the door. She cried a while longer and finally fell asleep. In the morning, I noticed to white buds of front, top teeth poking through her gums. Ah! She was in teething pain.

Last night she awoke again and had that same "Da-da-da-da-da-da-da" cry. I'm catching on and think that is her "I'm in pain, would you do something about it?" cry. This morning I found another tooth pushed through her gums.

So why does teething have to hurt?

A friend called it a "design flaw" and suggested that she was going to have words with Heavenly Father about that issue someday. My Grandpa hated the human excriment process and felt a better system would have been to kick a pebble out your big toe once a week instead of having to poop regularly. While a cleaver idea, I think I'd rather opt for the system as it works now than having to push a pebble through the bone, muscle and tissue part of my toe.

Still, teething is something that could be improved, no?

All kids do it. And it hurts! I firmly believe that our bodies are a miracle patterned after the image of our Heavenly parents who created us. I marvel and how seamlessly everything works. Breathing. Amazing when you think about how you don't have to think about it. Digestion. Thrilling to think that our bodies are able to break down complex things into digestible nutrients that fuel our work, our play, our everything. Ever exercise and wonder in awe at the way the brain, muscles, skeletal and vascular system all work together? Heavenly Father created astonishing beauty in the world and as a final creation made us. That is tremendous.

But why did he have to make it so teething hurt the cutest of the people he created?

1 comment:

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

I agree - Anna's been getting her molars for a month! She just walks around and moans with her finger in her mouth. sweet little thing