Saturday, November 28, 2009

crafty mama learning lessons

Living in LA has perks. The flower market downtown is one of them. Wednesday took advantage of my proximity to fresh, inexpensive flowers. They were key to my plan in expressing thanks to two people who have made this year a better experience:
Grandma Gail, who has been so helpful with Zoey--her first all day babysitter and all around amazing woman
Mom, who loves flowers and continues to be a wonderful friend, confidant, example, and mother

I bought enough flowers to make three Thanksgiving center pieces. Having never done this before the third (or first) one was for me as practice. Zoey cooperated so nicely by taking a nap as soon as I got home from the flower mart and didn't wake up until I was cleaning the leaves and stems that i had discarded off the floor. I thought I did a pretty decent job for a first timer.
The next day, however, it became apparent that I had made a mistake. At first I thought I bought bum flowers. But, at the flower mart they are fresher than anywhere else you can get them. When I brought mom her sad looking bouquet she instantly assessed my problem.

I used a strange type of Styrofoam instead of oasis, the green stuff that soaks up water and keeps the flowers hydrated. Oops. Lesson learned. Oasis is different than the funky, green, semi-Styrofoam thing I used. Now I know for next time.

Mom, being the talent with flowers that she salvaged a few things and made a lovely bouquet. (no picture). When I tired to do it at my house, the final product wasn't as good as hers, but I'm still learning.

No comments: